A Love Letter to Your Body

Katie_StoneKatie_Stone Member Posts: 41 ✭✭✭

For anyone who has ever struggled with their body image, this letter is for you. This is a reminder that your body is wise and made perfectly just for you. 

Dear Body,

I just want to say...thank you. Thank you for everything that you allow me to do each and every day. Thank you for allowing me to see the world and move through life. Thank you for allowing me to live through my senses, make memories, and experience all emotions. I know this relationship hasn’t always been easy and we’ve certainly had our ups and downs. There have been times when I hated you, said cruel things to you and punished you. There were times when we argued, fought and never seemed to be on the same page. But you were always there. Even when I called you names, criticised you, and tried to change you, you were always there. Through the good times and the bad, you persisted so that I could learn and grow.

I now realize that you were never the problem. I thought that if I could change you, make you better, make you more beautiful on the outside, that I would be happier. But you were never the problem. I now realize that you were always just trying to help me. I learned that you are not the enemy and if I stop fighting you, there’s so much more life I can live with you as my friend. I learned that you are wise. I learned that I can trust you. I learned how to listen to you instead of ignoring you. I learned that you deserve respect and the more I listen and tune into your messages and cues, the better I feel. I learned that you know when I need rest, when I need nourishment, when I need to move, when I need connection and when I need time by myself. I’ve learned that most of the time you know what I need before I do. I learned how to treat you with kindness and compassion instead of judgment and negativity. I learned that the way I talk to you changes the way I feel about myself. When I treat you well, I am stronger, more resilient and liberated. 

Even though our relationship still isn’t perfect, I now know that it’s the only relationship with you I’ll ever have and I am grateful for you. 

Comments

• Drwhearty31Drwhearty31 Member Posts: 3
    100% needed this. I’ve been feeling so under the weather lately and definitely need to start listening to my body.
  • kaceylangstonkaceylangston Administrator Posts: 302 admin
    edited February 28
    @Drwhearty31 Agree. It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day and not listen to our bodies or tell ourselves that we love US. If we can't put ourselves first then no one can, self love is so important for a happy, healthy life.
  • Katie_StoneKatie_Stone Member Posts: 41 ✭✭✭
    Drwhearty31 I'm so glad you found this helpful and that you're listening to what your body is trying to communicate to you. I hope you can get some rest, rejuvenate and feel better soon!