Bye, Bye Boring Breakfast Bars - Hello, Apple Pie Muffins!
Last but not least for my week of healthy breakfast recipes is the most delicious of all. For those that like to start their day on a sweet note, bake a batch of these over the weekend! You can swap out the apples for any berry or fruit to keep it seasonal.
Apple Pie Muffins (12 servings)
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (certified gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice (or a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cumin)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened organic applesauce
- 1 medium organic apple, grated (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (or honey)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray. In a large bowl, stir together all the dry ingredients.
- Add applesauce, grated apple, egg, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and milk. Stir well until smooth.
- Fill muffin cups almost completely full with batter. The muffins will not rise.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving to avoid breaking the muffins. Store in a covered container in the fridge for about a week or freezer for up to 3 months. Enjoy!