TLC points = $$$ Register for The Love Club this month and you'll get 300 points added to your account so you can use that towards your next Love Wellness purchase! Already registered? Don't worry we have exciting things in store for you so keep showing your love here on TLC!

Thanksgiving The Love Wellness Way

mollysbestmollysbest Member, Love Wellness Advisor Posts: 24 ✭✭
edited November 2019 in Molly Knauer

It’s time to ditch the stretchy pants. I am here to give you game day instructions on how to leave the dinner table feeling content, not overstuffed and ready for the couch. Did you know that on average, Americans consume 4,500 calories on Thanksgiving day?  I am all about mindfully indulging on special occasions but it's important to still be mindful during holiday eating so you can still feel your best.

Here is my Thanksgiving playbook:

Do you usually eat very lightly or not at all before the big meal thinking you are “saving” calories? You are actually just setting yourself up for failure and putting your body through a shock once it's time to indulge in your Thanksgiving meal. Rather than going in starving and shoveling food on to your plate like a mad woman, have a smart breakfast and lunch filled with protein and fiber. A nutrient packed green smoothie, a salad with hydrating veggies, or a veggie omelet are all good ideas. You want to go in hungry but not starving. A 6-7 on the hunger scale. Remember to take your LoveWellness probiotic in the morning to get your digestive system armed and ready! 

Take control. If you are going to a friend or family member’s house where you suspect there may not be anything healthy to eat, be a hero and offer to bring a dish of roasted veggies or big green salad with lots of color (think spinach, sweet potato, pomegranate seeds, cucumber with a honey balsamic dressing).

When it's time to eat, you will be able to make smart portion decisions without the blinding hunger you may have felt in the past. Glance over all the options before you start piling it on. What do you definitely want to save room for and what can you live without? Fill half the plate with veggies, 1/4th the plate with turkey and 1/4th the plate with whatever you deem worth it!  

When you finish your plate, don’t start thinking about seconds right away. Give yourself 15-20 minutes to digest. Hey, maybe this is a good time to look up from your plate and talk to that uncle you haven’t seen in awhile! Remember to drink water, at least 2 cups (or 1 cup per alcoholic beverage). After 20 minutes you will have a better sense of how much more (if any) you can handle. Remember, you want to save room for a few bites of dessert! 

Try not to plop down on the couch immediately after. Take a short walk to help your body digest, make it a family affair and rally the troops to get some steps in or play with the kids outside. As the day comes to a close, of course Love Wellness has your back. Take your Bye Bye Bloat and Sparkle Fiber before bed to help your body digest the heavier than usual meal. 

We want you to enjoy every minute of Thanksgiving, but make it a goal this year to listen to your body and eat until you're content. You'll be able to get up from the table feeling satisfied and present, rather than uncomfortably full, tired, and bloated. Who’s with me?!

With love and Happy Thanksgiving!

Molly

Sources:

Image: https://galmeetsglam.com/2016/11/our-thanksgiving-table/

Comments

• Dr. HortonDr. Horton Love Wellness Advisor Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

I always save my calories and then overindulge. I am going to try to be more mindful and pace myself but it is so hard because the food is so good. I will definitely be bringing the Bye Bye Bloat with me!

• JenlehrLMFTJenlehrLMFT Member, Love Wellness Advisor Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

@mollysbest Love your guideline:  "Fill half the plate with veggies, 1/4th the plate with turkey and 1/4th the plate with whatever you deem worth it!" I'm going to try and eat more veggies and less stuffing, potato and desserts! I also try to find lower glycemic options for stuffing, One year I used taro root as the base instead of bread.