TLC points = $$$ Register for The Love Club this month and you'll get 300 points added to your account so you can use that towards your next Love Wellness purchase! Already registered? Don't worry we have exciting things in store for you so keep showing your love here on TLC!

Sugar Is To Blame

Dietitian_KBDietitian_KB Posts: 26Member, Medical Advisory Board ✭✭
edited November 4 in Kylene Bogden

Have you ever significantly decreased your calories in order to improve, weight, digestion and energy only to find the results were not impressive?

Added sugar is often to blame. 

In a world still obsessed with calorie counting and low-fat food items, we often completely overlook the dangers of sugar. 

Why?  Because the media, the food industry, and our doctors are all saying something different about sugar and sweeteners! How is a girl to know what is accurate and who to believe?!

After spending years digging through the research in addition to extensive hands on experience with clients, here is everything you need to know about sugar:

Sugar Makes us Hungry and Overweight

Added sugar, mainly in the simple processed form known as fructose, can significantly increase your hunger and desire for sweet and starchy foods. The scariest part? Fructose can cause leptin resistance. Leptin is the hormone responsible for telling our brain and body that we are full. 

Pro Tip: Be sure to read labels carefully as fructose and high fructose corn syrup can be found in everything from bread, to salad dressings, granola bars and beyond!

Sugar is One of the Biggest Acne Culprits

We’re experiencing a record high for adult acne in this country and our food plays a major role in this mess. It's incredible how many adult women, even late into their forties are still battling acne. Research has shown that sugar-laden foods spike blood sugar and insulin, thus causing increased production of androgen secretion. Over time, this leads to an increase in inflammation and oil production.

Pro Tip: Before jumping on rounds of antibiotics or expensive “acne cleanses”, I challenge you to eat only real food for 14 days. Nothing out of a package. This means lots of fresh fruit and veggies, lean meats, nuts, seeds and high quality oils. Be sure to take a picture of your blemishes before and after. You just might surprise yourself!

Sugar Zaps You Energy

Many of us are so busy that we are constantly looking for quick pick me up, packaged foods. We tend to think sugar will give us a quick boost when we are tired. Unfortunately, when all is said and done, sugar actually has the exact opposite of an effect. The consumption of sugar does in fact spike our blood sugar for a brief moment, but, only to have it come crashing back down. Our body recognizes this as a danger and soon we are craving sugar again to pull ourselves out of the fatigue. A daily roller coaster of blood sugar levels from the consumption of processed sugars can not only lead us to feel fatigued, but increase our risk for cancer, depression, and wrinkles!! No thank you.

Pro Tip: If you need a sweet pick-me-up, choose natural sugar and always pair it with and item that contains protein, fat and fiber. For example, dip an apple in almond butter or a pear in cashew butter. Try having a handful of sunflower seeds with your orange. Coconut and cinnamon are two delicious flavors that can make an item taste more sweet (i.e. oatmeal, smoothies. etc. without you having to add any sugar!

In summary, the act of consuming added sugar, even if your calories are perfectly calculated, can serve as one of the most detrimental habits when it comes to optimizing human health.  

For more info on ways to decrease your sugar intake, check out my latest article on healthy swaps for sugar.

Cheers to real food and less wrinkles my friends!

With love,

Kylene

References: 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4443321/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23493533

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3494407/

Comments