TLC points = $$$ Register for The Love Club this month and you'll get 300 points added to your account so you can use that towards your next Love Wellness purchase! Already registered? Don't worry we have exciting things in store for you so keep showing your love here on TLC!

Medication and Probiotics

pyoungpyoung Member Posts: 25
So I have been doing a little reading on some of the posts and discussions; I am someone who has to take some prescribed medications - I get migraines and if I do not take this medication I will get one that day.
So I would assume my gut microbiome is altered with this medication and any other I would be taking. Any input as to how the Good Girl Probiotics will work with someone who is taking a medication that they cannot stop. I have talked to my PCP and she said that taking Good Girl Probiotics would not change the way my medication affects my day to day. But I am curious if anyone else is taking the probiotics and is on a medication and has seen a change or was even told not to take it?

Answers

• alondrafalondraf Member Posts: 12
    I am not sure, but I hope you get an answer soon!
    good luck. 
  • kaceylangstonkaceylangston Administrator Posts: 224 admin
    @Dr. Horton what are your thoughts? Do you have any insight or advice for @pyoung
  • Dr. HortonDr. Horton Medical Advisory Board Posts: 82 ✭✭✭
    @pyoung Probiotics should not alter the effectiveness of your medication.  I don't know what medication you are taking but would trust what your PCP has told you.  I take medication as well as my daughter in addition to Love Wellness products and have noticed any change in the efficacy of the medication.  I know thyroid medicine is very sensitive and it is recommended not to take anything with that medication at the same time.  You can always take it several hours after you migraine medication or take it in the morning or evening (opposite time that you take the migraine medication).  It is hard to say without knowing the medication.
  • JenlehrLMFTJenlehrLMFT Member, Medical Advisory Board Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    @pyoung I take thyroid meds. I have taken anti-malaria meds (mephron for Lyme) and have been on other pharmaceuticals at various points in my life. I have taken probiotics for years and never had a problem with a conflict. I did find this: Probiotics are generally safe and not known to interact with many medications -- but they are regulated as a food rather than a medication, so study has not been as stringent as it would be for a drug. There is concern that antibiotics taken at the same time as bacteria-based probiotics would kill the beneficial bacteria in the latter; also, people taking immunosuppressants may be in danger of illness from the active bacteria in most probiotics. An animal study also showed that the activity of drugs that are substrates of hepatic drug-metabolizing enzymes could be affected by probiotics, but this has not yet been confirmed in human studies.  https://www.sharecare.com/health/dietary-supplements/what-medications-interact-with-probiotics
  • mj31chjjmj31chjj Member Posts: 5
    Following this post as well